Podcasts


I’m going to come out and admit I’m a Windows Mobile smart phone user. On my Fuze I have an application called BeyondPod which is an open source RSS feeder. I have a classic iPod I used to use for podcasts, but I didn’t sync my iTunes often enough to keep podcasts up to date and when I’m stuck at an airport without free internet I couldn’t download new episodes so a smart phone with cellular connection works better. I like podcasts because I’m not much of a reader.

Podcasts, like Blogs, need to be updated frequently or the audience loses interest. On my phone I have a mix of blogs with different update frequencies.

Grammar Grater (RSS and iTunes links on site) is a short podcast (usually no longer than 8 minutes with a couple quick ads) about a grammar topic. Although I write in choppy sentences, can’t form paragraphs, and don’t know when to hyphenate or not I do at least try to improve my grasp of English grammar. This podcast isn’t updated very regularly, often no more than twice a month.

The Crew Lounge (RSS) is a new podcast from the people who give us Upgrd but this time from the perspective of flight crew instead of frequent flyers. There are only 2 episodes so far and they are around 30-40 minutes. they are trying to do a weekly podcast. Since it’s new I’ll take a wait-and-see approach to that, but good luck to them and welcome to podcasting! If you are like me and RSS your podcasts instead of using iTunes, click on the RSS to get that link. Upgrd is not very forthcoming with RSS feeds and that took some digging.

Free Talk Live (RSS and iTunes on site) is my bread and butter podcast. It is the syndication of a daily radio show so even on the longest flight I usually have enough Free Talk Live to get my through. It is ~2 hours per podcast and there is a new episode Mon-Sat. This podcast has nothing to do with travel, but some of the TSA haters out there do call in periodically.

I just found Travel Commons (RSS and iTunes on site) recently and haven’t really checked it out much yet so I can’t comment, but the most recent episode is from last year so I’m guessing it isn’t updated too often.

And last but not least is Upgrd (RSS). Upgrd is run by several flyertalkers and for any true frequent flyer it is must-listen material. I think it is bi-weekly and episodes try to stay under 40 minutes. This is usually the first podcast I listen to on a trip before using Free Talk Live to fill the rest of the flight time.

Other podcasts I have subscribed to include Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me! which is an hour long weekly podcast and is like the Daily Show of NPR. It’s a good way to see how well you keep up with current events.

Any other travel or general podcasts anyone out there recommends?

Comments

  1. Thanks for the list of podcasts. I am subscribed to a grammar podcast called grammar girl which is really good and updated quite frequently. You should try it.

  2. Diane –

    I typically do one TravelCommons show a month. I haven't quite gotten to January's yet. I hope you enjoy the December show.

    Regards,
    Mark Peacock

  3. Hi,

    Thanks for linking to the Upgrd podcast and The Crew Lounge. I promise to make finding and downloading the podcasts, via rss or directly, easier in an upcoming update to the website.

    If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

    Mike

  4. @Mike from a normal computer there is the RSS icon in the address bar (firefox), but from my phone I don't think such a thing exists. It seems like 90% of podcast listeners use iTunes either on their computer only or iPod Touch/iPhone so it's just the other 10% of us that depend on RSS.

  5. I can recommend the following podcasts:
    Dinner Party Podcast
    Celebrity Playlist
    ITunes Meet the Author

Comments are closed.