The Delta elite perk I use most regularly is Same Day Confirmed, but there is a rumor thread on Flyertalk that claims there are big changes coming to SDC:
Here are the notable planned* changes:
- The desired flight must have availability in the originally ticketed fare bucket, not just the same cabin of service.
- Fee waiver for GM/PM/DM only applies if the desired new flight is within 3 hours (before/after) the ticketed flight. Otherwise, $50 fee applies.
- The SDC request must be made before the departure time and on the same day as the ticketed flight. (You don’t have to wait until 3 hours before the desired flight.) With redeye flights, it can be on the same day or the prior day.
Some additional comments:
- If on a redeye (say a 1am departure), you can move to any time the prior day.
- You can SDC a single ticket multiple times. I can foresee GM/PM/DM doing this repeatedly to change a 5pm departure to 6am withouth paying the $50 fee for >3 hours.
- Still not allowed on int’l itins.
There is a new option of “paid standby” being rolled out at the same time:
- $50 fee, waived for GM/PM/DM.
- The standby request must be made before the departure time and on the same day as the ticketed flight. With redeye flights, it can be on the same day or the prior day.
- No change to routing allowed (eg connecting to nonstop)
- Only allowed for earlier flights than ticketed, with exception for GM/PM/DM.
- If you don’t clear the standby, you roll to the next flight.
- There has to be availability in the same CABIN as ticketed, not just the same fare bucket.
If this is true that will greatly impact my travel experience. I often book the last flight out so I don’t feel rushed at a client site. Nothing is worse than feeling like you need to run out of a meeting in the middle of productive negotiations. When I get to the airport early I’m pretty successful with SDC to get home and enjoy the evening. My tickets run the gamut of fare buckets, but usually are in the bottom. Time will tell what comes into fruition from these rumors.